Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Talking to Cops

Hello!

So I was watching this video which is about talking to cops. Pretty much the gist of it (since it is almost 50 minutes long) is DON'T TALK TO COPS. What happens is even if you are innocent and say only true things, they can and will use what you say against you. I guess that might apply to getting pulled over. I think that might be the exception though and this is why. Ok, here is the scenario,
You get pulled over and the cop walks up to your window.
"Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"
(if you answer yes or no you will get in trouble)
(if you say no then the cop will tell you how fast you were going and then it won't even be your say against hers because you already admitted to not knowing)
[if you say yes and then sincerely state that you were going 35 in a 35 (and possibly you were) then you are in trouble for lying since obviously you were caught speeding since that is why you were pulled over and that will be used against you (whether or not you were speeding)]
(if you say yes and say you were going 38 in a 35 then guess what... you just admitted to speeding and they got you)
(if you don't say anything then you won't be able to get out of a ticked because the cop will just write you one because you weren't being cooperative)
Well the question is, what do you do? How do you get out of the ticket? Do you have to consign yourself to a fate of getting one? How do so many people end up not getting one? Well this is my response,
"Mighty fine officer, how are you doing today?"
The officer slightly confused states, "You were going quite fast."
(I just hand him the license and registration)
Officer Nelson, "Well thank you and have a nice day!"
(As he writes and hands me the ticket)
"It's been mighty fine exchanging pleasentries with you officer."
"Take care of the wife and kids my friend."
(and then I just drive off) (how did he know I have a wife and kids... I didn't even know that)
I got a ticket but at least we were friendly and isn't the world just a bit better that way?
What are some of your thoughts on what to do?

2 comments:

  1. Cry.
    This is because I would be panicking and because female reactions (or at least mine, dangit) are never logical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got pulled over once and I felt terrible and wanted to cry but nothing came out until the cop left... that was a terrible day for me.

    ReplyDelete