Thursday, November 12, 2009

Music

I love music which may surprise people because I spent a large portion of my childhood abhorring it. I really didn't like how it could change my feelings and emotions. Now I enjoy how it can augment my feelings and inspire me if I control the music I decide to listen to. I saw a PBS broadcast a while back that said that not only listening to good music (typically classical) is good for the brain but that interacting with it, especially by playing the instrument, "lights up" your brain more than any other activity. I have wanted to get back into playing an instrument for quite some time now but I think I have found the motivation to do so. There is a certain youtube channel that not only has amazing music but the videos are stimulating and the musicians seem to be having the time of their lives. I suggest that you look at more of those videos than just the one that I put a link to. There seems to be magic in the process of creation. I want that in my life. I want to make music. It's time that I sacrifice a little to do so. Maybe this will be my opportunity to help myself live earnestly. Wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. When I had sheet music that I really liked, I thoroughly enjoyed playing the piano. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it until I had the song down, which meant practicing was a problem.
    I think that if I ever took up another instrument and actually try to learn it, I'd choose the guitar (although I did take lessons for a short while, so maybe that one doesn't count) or cello.
    I like classical music. I should buy some. Right now the only place I hear it is on NPR at night while I'm driving, but I don't listen to it because classical music is relaxing, and relaxed at night is not something I should be doing while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classical music is fantastic. The cello is by far my favorite instrument, I love everything about it (especially it's sound). Maybe I should ask for a cello for Christmas. I think I am going to start with the piano since I have access to piano's on campus right now and have a book that can teach me. I want to end up learning all kinds of instruments, I'll start one at a time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find it really interesting that you didn't like music when you were a kid. It seems like it's usually one of those things that people love when they're little. Maybe.
    I checked out that youtube link you provided, and it was worth my while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually come to think of it, I didn't like music when I was a kid but that was the only time of my life that I played an instrument. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pomplamoose is quite amazing. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete