Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bridges

Yesterday I walked to school and crossed a bridge and while I thinking back in fond memories of that moment I passed a bridge that goes into the second floor of the administration building SUU. That was in fact two occurrences with a bridge in one day. The word Bridge has 26 definitions. As you know it can be used as both a noun and a verb. Many people use the verb version as a way to describe a joining of two sides or a way to span a chasm. With people in our lives we may say that we are building bridges to connect with them. The question I have in mind is if we are bridging a divide what is the perspective of the person in the canyon? If the span seems less far from the top after a bridge is erected does the person under it feel like both sides are closing in? The obvious answer, and the one I will agree with, is no. Isn't it weird that the possibilities that are granted for the person at the top mean nothing for the person under the bridge? What I love about bridges is the security they provide to me, I feel safe under them. On top of the bridge I feel like any range of possibilities could bring me crashing down to the earth but under the bridge I feel like I am protected from the weather or any other object falling from the sky. A bridge is a lot like a roof except roofs usually have walls on each of their sides. Under a roof I feel trapped because to get out I usually have to exit through a door, window or some other opening. Bridges usually have only two sides blocked which leaves just as many sides open (we are going to operate in the typical four side situation). I feel like if I need to get out from under the bridge it would be much easier than if I were inside a building but I still have the additional benefit of having protection from above. That and being under a bridge is much breezier than inside of a house. Isn't it odd that the possibilities that a bridge grants to the person under it aren't even considered by the people going over it? I sure like being under bridges, maybe I should become a troll.

3 comments:

  1. The fact that the word bridge has 26 definitions is crazy to me. Once I get my head wrapped around that (hey, I just woke up! I'm stupid when I wake up!), I'll think about the other cool stuff you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, talking about the amount of definitions for bridge was kind of random but it surprised me so I decided to included it. I guess bridge is more of a concept than an object in the English Language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering, what other openings in a building are you anticipating as a way to get out, other than doors and windows?

    I like standing on top of bridges and looking over the edge, especially when I'm high up and there's a deep lake or a river below me because it's such a strange feeling.

    ReplyDelete