Friday, June 5, 2009

Short!

So I used to get this question at least weekly, "Hey, did you know that you are short?" The last time this question was posed to me wasn't that long ago either or from someone who is mentally infirm or too young to know better. I have been short for my whole life, actually believe it or not but I am much taller in comparison to my peers than I could have ever dreamed. I don't actually care though because it's not a very important topic of conversation to me. In fact, I let people tell me how tall I am all of the time. I get asked how tall I am and after I respond that I am about 5'4" and three quarters an argument follows about how tall I really am because obviously I am mistaken. The fact is I haven't measured myself of my own choice in a very long time and I don't remember the results others have gathered from experimentation. So you might be asking yourself, "If he really doesn't put a lot of thought into his height, why is he chatting about it? When will he stop? And that guy is most definitely a liar and a thief." I just ran into this link on a math website (this link is provided for you later in the blog) and I thought it would be ridiculous. I was not disappointed with what I found. Read as much as you want, it has its high and low comedic moments. I like the first two sections. I also recommend reading some of the testimonials. By the way, the only reason that I would grow taller is to please idiots so I think the name fits. Also if you know me really well you probably aren't surprised that I was on a math website but you might be surprised at what level I was trying to learn math. Yep, long division, adding and subtracting large numbers and doing percentages in my head. I have been doing simple math on a calculator for so long that now I don't know how to do it in my head. Actually come to think about it I can at least do about as good at math as the other people my height. Hurrah for my fellow first graders. Before today I could do calculus better than simple 2nd grade math. At this time you may now applaud.

4 comments:

  1. so - in the next life will you stay you same height or grow taller or shorter if you could choose?
    Also - I think most elementary kids really can't do long division in their heads these days - thanks to the calculator - they use it from the very beginning and are messed up for the rest of their lives, especially when they hit Math 1010 and 1050 - for at UVSC they are not allowed to use the calculator at any point in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I got a good laugh about that part about first graders. I am the same way about math. And nearly the same when it comes to height.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when it comes to my height im NOT the same in math, this is sad, and needs to be corrected immediately. unfortunatly i am not a quick learned, and thus, immediately is not possible.

    but you are a funny guy. lets keep it that way.


    Ps
    have you read "The 5,000 Year Leap?"

    because its good, and you seem like someone who might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, nope I haven't read that book. I think we should all learn Calculus. We don't have to be stereotypical social science nerds. Well, except you Nena, I forget what kind of nerd you are. We will let you be considered a social science nerd for at least a little while.

    ReplyDelete