Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Taking a short break to do something that I have wanted to do for some time

Wow!  That was a really long title.  I would say I will work on stuff like that but I will most likely do it again and I refuse to change the title as it is now.  So, I was up until 3:00a.m. last night doing a paper on G.E. Moore's proofs and arguments against Cartesian Skepticism.  I know!  You are thinking about how much you want to leave this blog at this very moment and check out these great arguments (or to escape the insanity of philosophical discussions).  Pretty much this is the low down on G.E. Moore [because you are so interested (but seriously, it is really interesting to me)], Descartes wanted to prove to us that nothing is certain because you can doubt the existence of everything, including the external world.  Part of his main argument for this is the belief that it is logically possible that an evil deceiver is out there and makes us confused as to what is true and the second part is that your whole life could just be a dream, or at least your current situation.  Moore tried to prove that this is ridiculous by showing that you have hands by pointing to one and saying here is a hand, then while pointing to the other saying here is a hand and then your conclusion is that there are two hands.  HA hands exist so external objects exist.  If you want to know more you should look up Moore.  Sorry about that... that wasn't even a sufficient explanation so I am not sure it did any good to mention it.  Also, events of today.  I went to New Castle to give some Obama signs to a man out there and while I was waiting for him in the only gas station parking lot in town a man came up to me and said, "You can't put any signs up here."  The weird part was that all of my signs were still in my car, I don't believe that I looked like I was about to put signs up.  I have come to the conclusion that my decision to become a Democrat in Southern Utah is pretty much putting my life on the line for my principles.  The main point of this blog for today was my belief in political activism but I think I will save that for tomorrow since this is already very long and I am already very tired.  By the way, three hours of sleep does not result in a sufficient nights rest.  Also I didn't eat for most of the day which was a bad idea.  Good Night!
Dr. Wolffe

5 comments:

  1. Wasn't it Descartes (try saying his name phonetically-it's silly fun)who said, "I think, therefore I am"? When I was growing up, my parents put these wooden Winnie the Pooh wall decorations in my brothers' room which all had a cute spin on that saying. Pooh Bear's said, "I think, therefore I am confused" Tigger, "I bounce, therefore I am." Pigglet, "I th-th-think that I th-th-think too much." and good ol' manic depressed Eeyore, "No one cares whether I think or not." The really funny thing, was my dad got these from a co-worker. Oh the fun things you're subjected too when your father is a therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, sorry my comment turned into a blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fine. Yep eventually Descartes says in the Second Meditation, "I think therefore I am." And then eventually he tries to prove the existence of God so he can prove the existence of external objects. He goes the long way around to show that I am typing on a computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you're so nondangerous looking! I wouldn't walk up to someone as innocent looking as you and tell you to not put your signs there. Then again, I really don't care about political signs as long as they are taken down shortly after election day. Apparently I'm like, the only person in Utah who seriously doesn't get offended by other people putting up signs they don't agree with. I sort of just ignore them all... Sorry, I'm not helping the cause much, am I?

    And look! My comment is as long as Brittany's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it adds to how nondangerous I look when after he confronts me I almost pee my pants. All I know is I think I almost died. Maybe I should try to be a liberal somewhere else... nah, I like living on the edge

    ReplyDelete